Tomato season is in full bloom and I could not be happier! Still feeling a little cheated because of the tomato scare a couple years ago, I have gone into tomato overload this season. From classic grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches, to tomato gratins; to homemade marinara sauce, to cool, fresh tomato salads; lately, I have been making them all!
The juicy bursts of the tomatoes and very slightly grilled corn kernels in this salad just scream of summer freshness. The tangy bite of the white wine vinegar and the almost warm flavor of the minced garlic, round out the fresh, sweet flavor of the corn and tomatoes.
This light, refreshing salad is the perfect accompaniment to thick slabs of meat, fresh off the grill. A great way to get your veggies in without feeling like mom is forcing them on you!
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup basil chopped
- 4 ears corn slightly grilled
- 2 lbs assorted baby heirloom tomatoes halved
- 4 oz ricotta salata crumbled
- Combine vinegar and garlic; mix in oil & basil
- Add tomatoes to vinaigrette; add salt and pepper to taste
- Meanwhile, heat grill pan over medium heat; char corn slightly on all sides (I only lightly grilled my corn in the hopes of getting the kids to try it – they are usually turned off by blackened food)
- Slightly cool corn and remove kernels from cob
- Add cooled corn to tomato and vinaigrette mixture
- Toss in crumbled ricotta salata before serving